- eating Cookie Crisp cereal at Grandma Schmidt's house. We never had it at home (probably too expensive), but she always had some in the cupboard just to the right of the kitchen sink. We used to love to eat it when we went to visit.
- making snapdragon lips
- pulling the legs off of grasshoppers
- throwing crabapples from the crabapple tree in the front yard
- making homemade popsicles
- making mud pies
- the fish that jumped out of its bowl onto the stairs when we lived at the pink house
- the time in elementary school when my teacher read us "The Legend of Sleepy Hollow." I was so scared that night that I couldn't sleep and stayed up very late. Late that night I heard cloppity-clop, cloppity-clop and thought for sure the Headless Horseman was coming to get me. It was the furnace.
- going swimming at the Midvale Pool with the Crane family, floating on my back, and going to the drugstore after for ice cream or milkshakes
- playing that game at Grandma Crane's house where we would throw the ball over the garage up front near the house (what was that game called?)
- playing No Bears Are Out Tonight with the Crane cousins
- Steal The Flag on the street with all the neighborhood kids
- Grandpa Schmidt's love for zinnias, marigolds, and roses
- making apple cider with the Schmidt family and riding around in the front loader to pick the apples
- gathering rocks on the dry farm and then hauling them home to build the rock wall in the backyard
- drinking gallons of lemonade and punch on the deck while playing cards in the summers
- pulling endless weeds in the front and backyard
- fashion shows when we got new clothes
- Zero, the beloved bear
- Mauri's favorite pillow which I'm sure she still has
- chasing Breann down the hall in the yellow house and pushing her into the wall and giving her a nasty cut on her head
Tuesday, July 15, 2008
childhood memories
For the last few weeks I've been thinking a lot about the importance of keeping records and journals and such. I'm not exactly sure why although I think it may have something to do with wanting to share things about my life with my children as they get older. I also think it is just fun to remember experiences from my life. Here are a few things that I've come up with that I remember from our childhoods:
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
and whoppers...and building forts...and the time it snowed so much they canceled school and it was so much taller than our heads...and shotgun shooting...and four-wheeling and boating with Julie and Martell
Post a Comment