Thursday, January 27, 2011

journaling prompt #3

Did you have a nickname as a child? What were your other family members' nicknames?

Everyone called me Leash, like as in dog leash. I particularly remember Jenn calling me by this nickname. Occasionally, I was referred to as Licia. Other notable nicknames that I recall for family members include Jenn, Big J, and Little J. Perhaps there were other ones, and I just don't recall them. I don't remember us being really big on using nicknames like our cousins usually were. Remember Care Bear, Shelle Pie, and Lolly? In college, friends and roommates referred to me as Schmidt, and later after I married David and worked in the schools, many people simply referred to me as Vawdrey. In fact, this name was so commonly used that some people thought it was actually my first name. I have always been hesitant to use nicknames for friends and other people around me although I am unsure why this is. I usually stick with the name they are introduced to me by with a few exceptions. Even when I have known them for years. For example, one of my closest friends, Kristin, is called Kris by many people. I have never been able to call her this. To me, she will always be Kristin. When it comes to my own kids, however, they have loads of nicknames that I use: Zachie, Zachers, Zacharoni, Z-man, Big Guy, Dude, Stinker, Little Pill, Sis, Sarah Bug, etc.

No comments: